…Or is it just the BEGINNING???
In April of 2010, I developed 3 goals that I felt would stretch my knowledge of knitting and allow me to explore the possibilities of design.
I gave myself one year to…
- Select and Complete 25 projects covering a variety of knitting techniques
- Complete the Master Knitter Certification Program
- Create and Market 10 new knitted designs
My Goals seemed reasonable at the start. Forget about the fact that I still have work and family responsibilities; after all, I had an ENTIRE YEAR – 365 days. Surely that would be enough to reach this set of goals!
If I had consulted any experienced designer or veteran of the knitting world they may have laughed out loud and said, “you’ll be lucky to get half-way through one goal!” And they would have been right! SEE MY PROGRESS-TO-DATE BOX
However, my motto has always been based on a quote from Les Brown, challenging people to…
Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars.
Setting my goals high allowed me to achieve more in one year than I would have otherwise. I just work better with a challenge and a deadline.
April 30th, 2011 was the OFFICIAL end to my year-long challenge; but, in a way it feels more like the beginning.
I am beginning to understand that…
- I really do love this craft as more than just a hobby
- There is so much more for me to learn
- A tremendous amount of work is required of those who fashion a career in the field
- I will continue to work towards my original goals without hesitation
- A three-month extension for the completion of my goals is not nearly enough, but will spur me to work towards those ends by providing a not too distant deadline. (KNOW THYSELF!)
Today I am already less than 3-months away from my new July 31st deadline! I hope I can use my time wisely. 🙂
Those who know me well are probably laughing right now realizing it will be near impossible for me to reach the moon. But who knows – with luck I just may land among the stars.